this is the first guest blogger ever on oh and the world spins madly on! and, i could not have asked for a better first guest than andrew conwell. God really wanted us on the same WyldLife team, because we ended up on the same team twice. he loves smu with all his heart, has great taste in wolf/bear t-shirts and southern frat/sorority wear, frequently throws up the adpi diamond, and is just an all around funny and wonderful friend to have.
here is andrew's top 5 list for summer...
1. TC’s Shaved Ice is one of my favorite places in the world. For just $1.75 you can get an incredible cup of shaved ice, with limitless flavor combinations. My favorite flavors are lime and strawberry, wedding cake and vanilla, dreamsicle, and grape. It’s located on Garland Road between Easton and Jupiter, and it will definitely make your day a little better
2. If you love garage sales, random junk, and vintage finds, check out Junkadoodle on West Lovers Lane. They have everything from a vintage Texas section to modern furniture and everything in between. I recently went on a “Flea Market Day,” and picked up lots of cool decorations including croquet balls, an old screen door, dart board, and “slang” flashcards. Even if you come home empty-handed, you are sure to leave with many ideas for your home!
3. What better symbol represents summer than a rollercoaster and cotton candy? Six Flags over Texas is an incredible amusement park right outside of Dallas in Arlington. Next door to the Rangers Ballpark and Cowboys Stadium, it is a key attraction for summer in Dallas. They always run deals and coupons to take money off the expensive price. So if you can get one of those, be ready for adrenaline pumping thrills like Mr. Freeze, Texas Titan, Superman and Batman. For the less adventurous, there are entertaining shows and kiddy rides.
4. Like most college students, my favorite food is none other than PIZZA! Fireside Pies is one of my favorite restaurants to frequent. Not your average pizzeria, Fireside Pies has many “bougie” pies and salads that I crave. I like to stick with the traditional Triple ‘Roni, but they also have fancier pies like the North Beach or Parma Prosciutto. Their location on Henderson has a cool patio which makes a great atmosphere for chowing down with friends.
5. Not everyone can be outside everyday of summer, so for those of you who are stuck in cubicles or an office, check out grooveshark.com and listentoamovie.com. Plug in your headphones and drown out the office while you jam to your favorite music, or listen to full length movies. Groove Shark is like a free iTunes where you can choose from thousands of songs and create your own playlist, while Listen to a Movie houses the audio to all of you favorite films.
each wednesday i am going to start having a guest blogger, so if you are interested in sharing your thoughts on, well, anything let me know!